Castleknock National School ICT Policy
- Computers are an essential part of the educational curriculum of Castleknock National School.
- Children are permitted to use technology as per the guidelines of the school Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)
- Computers are used by Class, Resource, and Support Teachers.
- Any assistive technology(for example laptops or tablets) assigned to a child by the Department of Education remains the property of the school. This equipment must remain within the school at all times and is not to be taken to and from school. When the child leaves the school the assistive technology will remain the property of the school.
- A Cyber Bullying Policy is in place to deal with cases of cyber bullying
- Laptops are also available for planning, preparation and research of materials by teachers while on school property. See Laptop Policy for further details.
- In all classes computers will be seen as an aid and a tool to further the pupils’ education and an emphasis will be put on the learning to use computers rather than learning about computers.
- It is our aim that all pupils would leave our school ‘computer literate’. We define ‘computer literate’ as being able to use a computer with ease and speed to access information from a wide range of sources and represent and communicate that information in a suitable format utilising a variety of tools. This definition would include use of the Internet, word-processing, manipulation of photographs and images.
- Each classroom has at least one computer with internet access connected to the printer in the computer room
- Staff all have personal Microsoft Office accounts
- Every assistance and encouragement will be given to staff members in their pursuit of personal development in this area of the curriculum.
Organisation of Computer Room
- When open computer room access is organised on a timetable basis. Each class having been designated an hour a week. This allows a number of free periods for classes to use the computer room for other curriculum areas.
- Teachers are responsible for the setting up of the Computer Room for their class.
- Teachers must oversee the quality of the work produced in the computer room by their class.
- Unnecessary overuse use of the printers is to be avoided due to the expense involved.
- Each teacher will have to be vigilant with his/her class in the computer room to ensure children do not access inappropriate material. Especially while using the internet.
- No children are permitted to use the computer room without a teacher present in the room
- A filtered version of Google is in use
- Children and staff members log in with separate passwords, this allows the children to use a restrictive account.
- A teams shared account on Microsoft Office is available for staff to allow resources and files to be shared, while each staff member also has a personal account.
- Children with learning difficulties that would benefit from access are accommodated in the schools Resource timetable.
- 30 PC’s Networked
- Each child has their own headphones (stored in the school)
- 1 B/W Laser Printer
- 1 laptop in each classroom
- Office area is also networked with internet access
- Wordshark available via a shared USB (English phonics)
- General Internet – Numerous Educational resources
The school website address is castleknocknationalschool.ie
The website is used as a tool to:
- promote the school in the local community
- showcase the children’s work
- provide information for parents and prospective parents
The Acceptable Use, Cyber Bullying and Laptop Use Policies should be read in conjunction with this policy.
This policy was reviewed and updated October 2020